SRS 37th Anniversary Dinner President S Nallakaruppan Speech
A very good evening to our VIP Guests, Members & Friends. Welcome to The Society of Remisiers (Singapore) 37th Anniversary Dinner.
First & foremost, I would like to express my sincere appreciation to the our VIP Guests who have kindly accepted our invites as follows :
1. Mr Luke Lim – SAS Chairman & Executive Director of Phillip Securties
2. Mr Lester Ngoh – Vice President of Singapore Exchange
3. Mr Andrew Ler – Senior Advisor of Singapore Exchange
4. Mr Edmund Lee – Asia Pacific Vice Chair of J.P.Morgan
5. Mr Cheng Khin Tin – Executive Director of Lim & Tan Securities
6. Mr Malcolm Koo – CEO of CGS-CIMB Securities
7. Mr Jarod Ong – Executive Director of UOB Kay Hian
8. Mr Tony Lim – Head of Equities & Agency Business of OCBC Securities
9. Mr James Wong – Director of KGI Securities
10. Ms Melinda Sam – CEO of SAS
11. Mr Melvin Tan – Director of Shenzen Vitality Investment Group
12. Mr Franky Yap – Director of Alumagubi
13. Ms Uma Devi – Journalist at The Business Times
The Society of Remisiers (Singapore) was formed in 1986 & we’re now celebrating our 37th Anniversary. We, Remisiers have been the backbone of the Stockbroking industry and have gone through many major market cycles such as the Asian Financial Crisis in 1997 & 1998, Dot Com Bust in 2000, SARS crisis in 2003, Global Financial Crisis in 2008 & 2009, Penny Stock Crash in 2013 and the Covid-19 crisis from 2020 to 2022. Remisiers are a hardy bunch and those who are around till today have built-up a wealth of experience. I strongly believe with adequate upskilling opportunities, Remisiers would make great Wealth Management Advisors or Boutique Fund Managers which would give Relationship Managers, Private Bankers or Fund Managers a run for their money.
Many Remisiers had left their professions & joined the Stockbroking industry due to the dynamism & vibrancy of our capital markets. Our capital markets have now lost quite a bit of it’s vibrancy. All is not lost though. I’m confident, if MAS, SGX, SRS, SAS & SIAS can work together to chart a mid to long term plan for our capital markets, we can bring back the much-needed vibrancy to our capital markets to it’s once glory days. Singapore as a nation has survived & thrived against all odds and I believe our capital markets should be no different.
Our theme for this year’s dinner is “Better Times Ahead” & lets make the Year of the Water Rabbit, A Year of Happiness & Prosperity for one & all.
I would to like express my vote of thanks to The Singapore Exchange for kindly sponsoring one table & Jimmy Ho & his team members, SRS Secretariat for putting-up an entertaining dinner programme.
Please enjoy the rest of the evening. Thank you.